The church was neat. The worship is so uninhibited it really is beautiful to experience. I especially love the "call" that they do that is a rapid tongue vibration against the top of the mouth. I was expecting it to be Ethiopian Orthodox because Ethiopian Protestants aren't as common I was told. At least not in Ethiopia.
But the pastor spoke a beautiful sermon on how it does not matter what church
you attend, but that you believe in God and that He sent his son Jesus Christ to
pay the penalty for our sin.
Our friends bring their 1 yr. old son to be dedicated to God.
Children are a gift from God, the auntie informs me. He gives
them to us and we give them back to Him because they are His.
Yes, I needed to be reminded of this. Sometimes I feel the responsibility of raising
them right and feel all the pressure for how they will turn out. But I can only lead
them down the path of truth and God will keep their hearts.
stretches forth their arms toward the boy and pray with him.
Next the pastor invites all the children to the front to pray
a special blessing on them. Marquez and Makaylee were
shy but eventually went to the front. The entire service was in
Amharic so my kids couldn't understand any of it but they knew
it was important because the pastor was speaking the Word of God
so they were quiet and still and made their mommy so proud. I love
how in the Ethiopian culture there is no hurry and the service went
for three hours. Reminds me of how Jesus would speak so long on the
hillsides his disciples would get concerned that the people would get
hungry. And in turn everyone did and went into the church basement for
bread and tea at the end to fellowship with one another.




Tariknesh trills her tongue exactly as you described, every time she cries. I've often wondered if it could be a cultural thing. Do you know anything else about it?
ReplyDelete:)