Thursday, August 20, 2009

Homeschooling


I bought Marquez's Abeka curriculum from a missionary family off of Craigslist. The cool part is that they gave it to me 50% the listing prices on the ABeka website. We are so excited to start it! Marquez even wants to be homeschooled this year because he doesn't want to leave Nyah. At the end of last school year when we came home from Ethiopia, Marquez didn't like going to school and being away from her. They have a very special relationship.
When I think of homeschooling I think of very intelligent, polite, well-rounded, happy, respectful children. That's because all the homeschoolers I've ever met are those things. I've had some people question our decision to homeschool Marquez and they are mainly worried about the social aspect of it. I have my teaching degree in Elementary Education so we are okay on that front. It's actually going to be pretty easy I'm guessing since he's been using the ABeka curriculum the last two years at his private school. So I know right where's he at, and if he gets to return to the private school next year, he will have learned everything his classmates did and won't be behind. The part I'm looking forward to is getting to spend more time with him. I am going to give him piano lessons for his music. I took them for 8 years. Thankfully he didn't ask for guitar lessons or something like that! For P.E. he is joining the homeschool swim lessons at the local pool. It is two mornings a week and only $40 a month, which is a great price! He will still see friends at AWANA on Wednesday nights and at Sunday School. The neighbor boy is homeschooled also and they hang out at each other's houses. He'll be with the same team and coach for YMCA basketball for the third year in a row now.
Overall, it will be a positive experience and if we like it, maybe we'll do it next year, too, with Makaylee!

3 comments:

  1. Wow good for you. Sounds like your ready. I never knew you had a degree in Education.
    I know I would not have the patience to do this, so I'm in awe that you are doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I am glad that you are so excited, and he is too. He will have no problems with the social side. he is clearly involved in so many things and he seems like he is an outgoing kid. good for you! we will pray all goes well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great! It will be my first real year at this too!

    I have come to realize that there are people in each system of education who will not be happy with your choices. It is a (rightly) passionate topic.

    And what a sweet boy not to want to leave his sister! Wow!

    ReplyDelete