Friday, June 12, 2009

Tribute to Toukoul

After spending a month and a half in her regional orphanage, Biruktawit (Nyah) came here, the Toukoul Orphanage, to wait for them to find her a forever family.
Four and a half long months later...Orin and I arrived at this wonderful place. You could just feel the love, the sounds of children laughing and playing, the smell of traditional Ethiopian food cooking, etc. It was magical, such a happy place. I would love to show you all the beautiful, smiling faces of the other precious children but we were asked not to take pictures of them to protect their privacy.

-Orin, amused at how they dry the shoes


-a toukoul (typical thatched dwelling seen in Ethiopia)




-walking to the baby building




-Nyah in her crib





-the empty crib where her friend Hiwot stayed (who is now home in Arizona)





-the nurse who spoke English very well and was so helpful to tell us all about Nyah's personality, routine and feeding/nap schedule







I will always remember the nurse. Her love for Biruktawit was so touching. She hugged and kissed her smiling and and said "Brukie! Brukie" (her nickname) and told her to come back someday. I had tears streaming down my cheeks. She got very concerned and told me not to cry, that they were all so happy for Biruktawit! I was mourning the loss of this little baby's rich heritage, culture and people and she was giving me permission to give her another one as well. It forever will be a beautiful moment in time.










No comments:

Post a Comment