
We met at an Ethiopian restaurant with my parents, sister and grandma last night before they headed back up north. What a fun evening. I'm afraid they're not as big of fans as Ethiopian food that Orin and I are, though. Maybe its an acquired taste? Grandma was very discrete about her opinion of the food after a few bites and just pulled a banana out of her purse to eat- so funny!
We got to chatting with the two girls at the table next to us who asked if Nyah was adopted. It ends up that they too had been adopted from Ethiopia when they were 9 and 10 years old. They were from friends in their orphanage and had been lucky enough to have been adopted into families in the same city and had remained close. That is so awesome. I'm sure that helped their homesickness. One had a good adoption experience and the other hadn't. After she had talked about it I saw her wipe a tear and my heart went out to her. She said that my 6 year old sister in Ethiopia will have a hard time at first when she comes to the U.S. but as soon as she sees Nyah she will be OK!
Oh wow, so cool you got to meet them. Naing and I need to make more of an effort to go to N Portland and eat at the Ethiopian resturants. I think we have only done it 2 times and you saw us one of the times. So glad you are blogging again.
ReplyDelete